I WANT TO HEAR
Please comment on my blog posts or complete the contact form. I would love to hear your thoughts!
- How to improve skills in your second language… Read!
- January 17, 2021
- Many of my students ask me what I think is the best way to improve their speaking skills in their second language. Of course the simple answer is to practice speaking. The language student should seek any and all opportunities to speak their target language, even if that means traveling overseas where the language is […] Read More
- Uniquely Louisiana French (and English!)
- September 5, 2020
- Uniquely Louisiana French, and Part Two of Louisiana English à la française! In the exciting follow-up to my article from last year, I want to share some of the things that I have recently learned are “uniquely Louisiana French” expressions. As may already be evident by now, we speak a bit differently here, even in […] Read More
- I Heard the Owl…
- July 1, 2020
- I Heard the Owl Call My Name, but Margaret Craven This is a classic which I first read during my bachelor’s program in the spring of 1995. I have since read it several times with some of my ESL students, and each time we did a very close read, discussing themes and topics along the […] Read More
- Home, Sweet Home…
- May 3, 2020
- There’s no place like home. While we are all sitting at home, confined inside our houses and apartments, it is a good time to think about the meaning of the word “home” and how it differs from “house”. What does it really mean? How many definitions are there and which, if any, is most accurate […] Read More
- New Orleans, my love..
- February 9, 2020
- Andrei Codrescu is an essayist, novelist, poet and professor at Louisiana State University. He is also a regular speaker on National Public Radio, and such a brilliant speaker! I first came to know him from an audio selection in the material used where I was teaching ESL in Houston. I then discovered this book, New […] Read More