Here is a list of some very useful online English and French language learning resources that I recommend for my students to use either on their own between lessons or as lesson material to be discussed during our classes. Keep checking back, as I may periodically add to this list.
For learning English:
- ESL Flow is a complete guide to exercises and links to everything from writing to pronunciation.
- Grammar Aquarium is a great site for grammar
- About.com for general English
- Ello is a listening website, with podcasts and videos
- TED is great for listening to academic lectures
- VOA has a great library of videos and articles with audio file for levels 1-3
- Podcasts In English is a great library of podcast reports and conversations
Speaking and Conversation
- The Internet TESOL Journal has a great list of conversation questions
- ESL Discussions is another link to great conversation questions, maybe more basic
- Ship or Sheep? – English language pronunciation for minimal pairs.
- ManyThings.org – Practicing pronunciation and minimal pairs, and also a great website for general purposes
For learning French
Listening, Vocabulary, etc
- Listen to Radio in French
- Easily Type French Accents
- Learn French with online tutorials
- French Lesson Videos
- French In Action, usually available on youtube but links occasionally get pulled down. Try here, otherwise search the title. Episodes start at 2, and are about 30 minutes.
- Word Reference is one of the best online dictionary/ translators I have used yet
- About.com has a great French section to practice
- France 24 is a news channel, with live streaming video 24 hours a day Click “la chaine en directe” and you will get live video.